Friday, November 16, 2018
Jesus Calls Levi (Matthew)
13. Then Jesus went out to the lakeshore again and taught the crowds that were coming to him. 14. As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax collector’s booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Levi got up and followed him.
15. Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus' followers.) 16. But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees[a] saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, "Why does he eat with such scum?[b]"
17. When Jesus heard this, he told them, "Healthy people don't need a doctor--sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."
2:16a Greek the scribes of the Pharisees.
2:16b Greek with tax collectors and sinners?
Mark 2:13-17 NLT
Thursday, November 15, 2018
44. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. 45. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. 46. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity[a]-- 47. all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.
2:46 Or and sincere hearts.
Acts 2:44-47 NLT
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
The Power of Prayer
13. Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 14. Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. 15. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.
16. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. 17. Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 18. Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain and the earth began to yield its crops.
James 5:13-18 NLT
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
5. God's voice is glorious in the thunder.
We can't even imagine the greatness of his power.
6. "He directs the snow to fall on the earth
and tells the rain to pour down.
7. Then everyone stops working
so they can watch his power.
8. The wild animals take cover
and stay inside their dens.
Job 37:5-8 NLT
Monday, November 12, 2018
17. But upon mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions.
18. And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the Lord hath spoken it.
19. And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
20. And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even unto Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.
21. And saviours shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the Lord's.
Sunday, November 11, 2018
2. And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
3. The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
4. I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
2 Samuel 22:2-4 KJV
Saturday, November 9, 2018
The name of the Lord is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10 KJV
Friday, November 8, 2018
Ezra Praises the Lord
27. Praise the Lord, the God of our ancestors, who made the king want to beautify the Temple of the Lord in Jerusalem! 28. And praise him for demonstrating such unfailing love to me by honoring me before the king, his council, and all his mighty nobles! I felt encouraged because the gracious hand of the Lord my God was on me. And I gathered some of the leaders of Israel to return with me to Jerusalem.
Ezra 7:27-28 NLT
Thursday, November 7, 2018
A Call to Repentance
12. That is why the Lord says,
"Turn to me now, while there is time.
Give me your hearts.
Come with fasting, weeping, and mourning.
13. Don't tear your clothing in your grief,
but tear your hearts instead."
Return to the Lord your God,
for he is merciful and compassionate,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
He is eager to relent and not punish.
Joel 2:12-13 NLT
Wednesday, November 7, 2018
Made Alive with Christ
1. Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. 2. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil--the commander of the powers in the unseen world.[a] He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. 3 All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else.
4. But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, 5. that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's grace that you have been saved!) 6. For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus. 7. So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus.
8. God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.
2:2 Greek obeying the commander of the power of the air.
Ephesians 2:1-9 NLT
Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Loving One Another
7. Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 8. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
9. God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10. This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.
1 John 4:7-10 NLT
Monday, November 5, 2018
10. A single day in your courts
is better than a thousand anywhere else!
I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.
11. For the Lord God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The Lord will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
Psalm 84:10-11 NLT
Sunday, November 4, 2018
Discerning False Prophets
1. Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. 2. This is how we know if they have the Spirit of God: If a person claiming to be a prophet[a] acknowledges that Jesus Christ came in a real body, that person has the Spirit of God. 3. But if someone claims to be a prophet and does not acknowledge the truth about Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist, which you heard is coming into the world and indeed is already here.
4:2 Greek If a spirit; similarly in 4:3.
1 John 4:1-3 NLT
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Better is the poor that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.
Proverbs 19:1 KJV
New Living Translation (NLT)
King James Version (KJV)
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
American Standard Version (ASV)
The Message (MSG)